Wednesday 22 October 2014

Writing while listening to music helps stimulate my brain and expand my immagination

Hey! It's Wednesday!  YES!

As I begin to type this I'm listening to music from a site called Soundcloud. The artist's name is Tony Anderson and he composes some of the best tracks I've ever heard! Check him out here:


                                 Click here to check out Tony Anderson on Soundcloud

He is just one of the many artists that I've randomly found on Soundcloud and enjoyed listening to. There's nothing like finding music that takes you to places where you have never been before. This goes with all types of music. It has the power to put you in moods in which you can't control but to succumb to. While writing Vampire Pigs I would listen to a lot of George Strait; I'm not a big fan of country, however when I hear him sing I feel like I'm in Texas for some reason. I feel like I've transported into another universe. Right now I'm listening to a mixture of Orchestral/HipHop/EDM while I write my next book and it helps immensely. The characters to the overall story are fueled by the music I listen too. The vibrations that trickle into my ear effect my mind which in turn control my finger tips to type words - I don't know if that made any sense at all but that's how I feel.

There are times when music doesn't help and I have to shut it off. Sometimes I just want complete and utter silence so that it's only me, the universe and the characters. Sometimes I let the music just play in the background and not write at all. I close my eyes and enjoy the vibrations. I can picture in my mind a different universe that I've never visited before in my life. THIS IS GOLD TO ME! I write down what I see and save it in a file on my laptop so that in the future I can return to it.

I've met a lot of writers who use drugs and alcohol to get their juices going...Even though I've never tried doing it I'd rather stick with music because I can rely on it picking me up and it's way cheaper! I've been intoxicated plenty of times and believe me I can barely even think while under the influence let alone write something. I don't know how they do it. But it doesn't matter because every artist has their own way of doing things. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to this because if it helps THEN IT HELPS!

Music like with every artist I know is a HUGE part of our lives. I wouldn't know how I could live without it.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post! Take care!

Sincerely,

James Melville

No comments:

Post a Comment